Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

County Judge-elect Bert Cobb: "I am owned by no one"


"I only have one vote but I can also be open with the people and let them know that everyone on the court is playing by the rules."

Send your comments and news tips to roundup.editor@gmail.com, to Judge-elect Cobb at bert.cobb@gmail.com or click on the "comments" button at the bottom of the story

By Bob Ochoa
Editor
RoundUp/News Photo

A political trivia question: How many voice and e-mails did Dr. Bert Cobb receive the day after he trounced his opponent Jeff Barton by nearly 5,000 votes - 21,690 to 16,915 - in the contest for Hays County Judge?

If your guess is 100 or 200, you are way off. Cobb is still receiving a stream of calls, e-mails and voice mails, and he is reaching out himself during a busy post-election transition time.

Here’s what Dr. Cobb told the RoundUp in an exclusive interview this week: “I had 435 voice (and e-mails) on Wednesday, most were congratulatory, some of those were wanting to set up private meetings . . . the usual suspects. I was appalled at how many of them were so blatant about it . . . saying we didn’t support you but now we want to help you.”

One can look at this as good news – not so much the truckload of fan mail but the openness with which Cobb was willing to speak about it. A lesser newly elected chief executive of Hays County government might have skipped a discussion with the media about his voice mail and quietly tucked away some of the more promising messages in his vest pocket for a later follow up.

Cobb was one of many Republicans who were swept in to office across the state last week on a wave of voter anger and disenchantment. He said his large victory margin over Barton also was due in part because the voters saw him "as reasonable and fair and interested in what's best for Hays County."

"I do not want people outside of Hays County to have an undue influence on what happens in Hays County," he added. "I am owned by no one. My only allegiance is to the people of Hays County and I have stated that up front with everyone who wants to have influence and buy influence with my court. I am the people's voice in the court’s decisions.

"I have had to appoint a temporary chief of staff to deal with all the people that want to bring their opinions. I was voted in on a pledge to have open government and honesty. I'm working as hard as a I can to maintain that pledge."

Cobb also pledged that if elected he would sell his medical practice and become a full time county judge. "That is underway," he said, "the transition from a full time practice to a part time practice, to eventually phasing out totally. There are standards set by the Texas Medical Association (to close or sell a medical practice). I do not plan to give up my medical license."

Cobb says he is learning about the legal aspects of his transition to public office (the Texas Open Meetings Act applies to newly elected officials, for one thing); and he is reaching out to current county officials and to the newly elected commissioners court members.

"What I have asked each of the commissioners to do is a ballpark vision of what they would like to see happen in Hays County, in particular in their precincts. I'd like to have them set some goals. Nothing good happens without a plan. What they are telling me is that they are very glad I asked them to do that.

"It’s such an overwhelming task to suddenly be thrust into office and now having to make decisions. One thing we have to do is find out the progress of projects currently under way such as the government center and building of the highways, improvements of RR 12. I am trying to blend the previous administration with my upcoming administration so we have a continuity of services for the people. I am trying to make the transition seamless for the people of Hays County."

What reforms do you have in mind when you take office in January?

"It would be remiss of me to say that I already have reforms in mind because I really don’t know enough what’s going on in the backrooms. First, I have to have data to substantiate if what we’re doing is the most effective way. My reform is to see if we can do things more effectively. What I'm trying to do is build a team of people who are motivated to do what’s best."

On important water-related issues facing western Hays County?

"My first meeting was Wednesday (day after the election last week) on that very subject. It was not a secret meeting. I’m trying to go to individuals and with the state, meetings with the Texas Water Development Board, the groundwater districts, mainly the Trinity (Hays Trinity Groundwater Conservation District).

"One of the critical things we are going to have to deal with is how to fund the HTGCD. They have been totally reliant on the (county) and what we have to do is get all the interested parties together and see what are the possibilities for funding. I want private interests to have input into the process. It would be easy to say let’s just tax people, well that’s not a good answer. We need to have the cost borne fairly by everybody."

Would you support legislation to give voters in the Hays Trinity Groundwater District a chance to vote up or down a small ad valorem tax to fund the district's operations?

"If the people choose to be taxed then so be it. If they are opposed then I want to come up with alternatives . . . I am already trying to work with (State Sen. Jeff) Wentworth and (newly elected State Representative Jason) Isaac - everyone who has an interest in water in Hays County. I am not trying to impose my opinion or methods on anyone."

You are only one vote on a five-member commissioners court. How effective do you think you can be in implementing your preferred policies?

"I only have one vote but I can also be open with the people and let them know that everyone on the court is playing by the rules. The judge’s main thing is to set an attitude. I want everyone to know that I will demand that everyone play by the rules and I will chastise myself and others to keep that pledge."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed. I didn't know they even had message machines or voice mail that would hold over 400 messages.

Peter Stern said...

I am glad to hear Judge Cobb verbalize his intentions. I supported and voted for him and I hope that he will remain true to his word at least for the next 4 years.

Congratulations, Judge Cobb. I wish you a productive and successful term.

Anonymous said...

Anon 1:

I'm sure he meant he got over 400 voice mails (but not all at once). I'm also sure that he means what he says about being open. This guy is not going to allow special interests to rape us anymore.

I look forward to hear (from Cobb) what he finds in the coming months. I bet Conley and Barton got us into many shady deals, and Cobb will tell us. Hopefully no one will end up in the grey bar hotel. Have you ever seen the stare they come out of there with?

Anonymous said...

What a breath of fresh air...

The Truthrunner said...

What a great article and interview, Bob. Judge Cobb is unassuming but a tough cookie. He will be a great leader of the court and should provide the kind of leadership we have been lacking. I expect great things from him.

Anonymous said...

If Judge Cobb really delivers, he may change my mind about Republicans. I am guessing his party will ask him very quickly to "shut up".
I'd still like to see who (and what PACs) financed his campaign. I bet developers and water privateers gave him big money after the last reporting period.
Bob, you need to report the fine details of his campaign finance. If it is clean, I'll be surprised.

Fool me once, twice... said...

Don't make the mistake of equating Cobb with Republican. He is more of an Independent, at least an Independent that seems smart enough not to be mindlessly manupulated by right wing lies.

We can hope Cobb is the real thing. But let's suspend judgement until after a year or two. So mamy people are disappointed over President Chocolate Jesus having sold out to the people who hate him and who want to destroy the middle class, it is wise we remain objective and not get prematurely touchy feely over Judge Santa Claus.

Political power turns people into politicians.

Anonymous said...

So the people who supported him and called wanting to set up a meeting wanted nothing?

Anonymous said...

It's always so easy for people to be negative.

I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong.

So, go Cobb!!!

Ralph said...

Realistic is not negative. It is smart and mature. Fantasy hopeful - turning over our personal responsibity to an elected official - is why our nation is in such a mess.

Live the standard you want to see. Don't expect some politician to do it for you. I'm sure Cobb would agree wholeheartedly.

rico said...

It is NOT "realistic" to bad mouth a person for being somewhere or stating something. The proof is in the doing. There are a few good people out there and I'm waiting to see if Cobb will be one of them by his actions. Words mean little. That's the reality.

BTW, Cobb will start pissing off the big shots with his "I am owned by no one" comments. It will be interesting to see the "retaliation" and whether Cobb holds up to it.

Anonymous said...

Rico, he has not done anything yet to exhibit that he is not owned, other than say so. Let's see what he does before we either damn or praise him.