Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Out on the back 40 – How much longer can we keep our open spaces quiet?


Through it all, I’ve learned that our state law, which everyone defaults to (as if defaulting to common courtesy isn’t the obvious option) is 85 decibels, at the complainant’s property line. This is like living next to a lawn mower just outside your windows, or a jet aircraft flying over head


Note:
This one is what we call a "sleeper" issue. Hays County is growing and getting noisier all the time. Outdoor music and entertainment venues are here and spreading, causing discomfort to many of the county's more rural residents who moved out here for the quiet and open spaces. Unfortunately, the lives of Ms. West and her neighbors south of Dripping Springs off RR 12 and Memory Lane have been turned upside down by the loud noise of a neighboring "great outdoors" party venue. Welcome to country living. Medical experts say hearing damage can occur with extended exposure of any noise over 85 decibels.

West says she is fighting to change state law to reduce the maximum allowable level to 60 decibels, a happy medium, in unincorporated areas. Politicians, right and left, are turning a deaf ear to her problem and ours. Why? Ask your favorite candidates and officeholders that question the next time you bump into them. And while you're at it, ask your favorite deputy or constable if he works off duty at one if those outdoor venues as a security guard. There are some issues with that, too, we'll be taking a look at down the road.

To learn more and sign up, visit
NoiseFreeTexas.org Read this April 2010 story in the RoundUp for more background.

Send your comments and news tips to roundup.editor@gmail.com, to Ms. West at kimly.west@gmail.com or click on the "comments" button at the bottom of the story


Let’s keep the peace in rural Texas


Good neighbors
keep their noise
to themselves

By Kimly West
Guest Commentary

Let it be known that I’d like the choice of peace and quiet. I’d like the freedom of our rural way of life. I’d like to live in a community where all are protected from harm. I’d like everyone to consider each other when making decisions about activities that impact others. I’d like for northern Hays County to continue to be a place where peace and quiet and happy residents abound. I’d like respect and courtesy to be the unwritten law of our community.


But alas, these things are just dreams of times past. Or maybe we really didn’t have these things concretely, but neighborliness blanketed all who lived here.


Folks, we all have a problem, and it’s neighbor noise. Currently I have counted upwards of 10 noisy outdoor venues in northern Hays County. If this noise trend continues then many more will sprout, next door to you.


No one is protected, as our current state laws are practiced. A noisy neighbor will most assuredly move more near you, or near a friend, or near a loved one. Or a previously friendly neighbor has turned into a noisy nuisance.


I have lost the right to choose a peaceful and quiet lifestyle. It’s not an option anymore. I feel that my freedoms have diminished and I miss my old life very much. This unhealthy situation has been foisted upon me and my love ones and we do not like it at all. My noisy nuisance neighbors have totally disrupted my previous lifestyle.


You may think I’m the complaining type. Let me share with you that I am an author (Spiritual Guide to Bumper Stickers, vol.1), and my plan has been to work on vol.2, as well as a children’s spiritual book called ‘A Child’s Spiritual Guide’. Up until most recently, I have chosen to live a peaceful and very quiet life. You could have called me a hermit, but that is the lifestyle I chose in order to write the first Spiritual Guide. Being a writer is a solitary experience. External noise and disturbance disrupts the creative flow and I’ve not been able to get my work done.


One of my first bumper sticker sayings, and one of the most potent sayings, is Heal’thy Self (healthy self). In order to experience a healthy lifestyle, one must first find the cause of the health issue. In my case it’s unwanted and intrusive neighbor noise and disturbance. My nuisance neighbors have invaded my peaceful home, changed my lifestyle, created all kinds of physical ailments, and unhealthy conditions. Until the laws are changed, there really isn’t anything I can do about it.


Initially when the noise started, I tried to ignore it. I really believe in live and let live. I have no personal interest in what any of my neighbors do or how they choose to live their lives. That is until it impacts me and mine in a negative way.


I called my noisy nuisance neighbors and asked for peace and quiet. My polite neighborly requests were ignored and their response has been to continue their noisy tide (very loud…and bad disco music, much clapping, cheering and yelling, car honking, and at times fireworks(!). One never knows when a particular party will be loud, or what type of party plans are in store – this has caused all kinds of worry and stress about what the future holds.


Shockingly, I realized that northern Hays County isn’t a wonderful place to live (we have been here 18 years with no plans to move) because we all now have noisy nuisance neighbors who refuse to be neighborly.


Anger, frustration, irritation, and shock then set in. How could this uncomfortable and uncaring situation have occurred (especially among folks who used to be friendly)? When did we collectively acquire this uncaring attitude towards others? Remember when we used to wave to everyone on our country roads?


Through it all, I’ve learned that our state law, which everyone defaults to (as if defaulting to common courtesy isn’t the obvious option) is 85 decibels, at the complainant’s property line. This is like living next to a lawn mower just outside your windows, or a jet aircraft flying over head. At times I expect to hear a sonic boom happen over my home and family.


85 decibels does not take into account low bass sounds that are the most invasive and physically offensive. These low bass sounds rattle windows, shake floors and foundations, and synchronize with one’s heartbeat The absolute worst physical effect is when the bass sounds stop (even for a few seconds, you know, that transitional phase when the noise stops), one’s heart has to re-calibrate itself without the external pacemaker boom, boom, boom. Ouch, it actually hurts my heartbeat.


I’ve given this huge problem much time and attention. Seeking a healthy solution consumes my life. One positive avenue has been the creation of NoiseFreeTexas.org. Our on-line petition drive is gathering signatures from folks in our county and state, who’d like to change this 85 decibels down to a reasonable and more peaceful 60 decibels, sundown to sunup.


All of our large cities in Texas, as well as everyone who lives in a subdivision community, must live with a noise ordinance. Austin has one, and so does San Marcos. This noise issue is happening to homeowners who live in the unincorporated areas of our counties. There has been, and will be again, bills in the Legislature, that request county land use regulations be granted to our county commissioners. This would give our counties the power to make and enforce laws. Our counties desperately need this power and I will work towards making this a reality.


NoiseFreeTexas
tackles the problems from a different angle and that is changing the current nuisance noise statute from 85 decibels down to a reasonable and respectful 60 decibels (sundown to sunup).

60 decibels would ensure that ALL folks have the option of peaceful and quiet homes.
60 decibels is bearable to live next too, and 60 decibels does afford event attendees a good time too.

Please join our efforts. Please sign our petition. Your signature will work towards the guarantee of a peaceful life here in northern Hays County as well as all rural areas of our beautiful Texas.


Thank you and peace to all. ‘May Your Higher Self Rule Your World’ (from Spiritual Guide to Bumper Stickers, vol. 1).

6 comments:

Take back our country lifestyle said...

Mr.Scheissekipf, Kimly West and her cause deserve our support. This is no laughing matter. I wouldn't wish her experience on anyone who treasures their peace and quiet, including you, unless you are one of those noisy characters laughing all the way to the bank, protected by a disrespectful state law, bought politicians and local law enforcement officials.

Anonymous said...

Will this incessant complaining about something that will probably never be fixed ever end? This is the 3rd or 4th article in the last few months here on the “Roundup” and is getting pretty boring. Lobby your State and County representatives and leave me out of it. I can’t help you! I’ve got neighbors that piss me off and unless I want to shoot them there is nothing I can do. Lady, you might just have to move. Regardless, quit whining to those that can’t help you and do something for your self. The government is not the answer to all of your problems.

Kimly said...

If I'm not mistaken, this topic and article are exactly what the Roundup is about.

If you currently do not have a noisy and intrusive neighbor, then you will acquire one in the near future unless something is done to change the current 85 decibels.

If you want peace and quiet, then please sign our petition. Put your name where it does matter.....NoiseFreeTexas.org.

fyi to all: Texas is the ONLY state in the union that does not grant Land Use Regulations to counties. We are dead last in this category. This outdated and archaic statistic needs to change.

We will change this law.

Dan Jackson said...

Ms. West is on target with her article. We can all enjoy live music and a good time without having it spill over and deprive someone of enjoying their homes, yards, and peace within the walls of their houses. It is not only common sense, it is "the right thing to do."

Will said...

I believe every person should have the right to live how they want to. As long as sound levels are within city and community ordinance there should be no problem. I feel it should be on the 'offended' persons part to sound proof their house if noise is that big of an issue. Just like building a fence in the back yard.



On city and community ordinances, why don't you target the laws on county ordinances, and not noise.

I live above a couple in an apartment building who nocks on their ceilings every time we make a peep, and it makes my life miserable. They have their first newborn, and I don't understand why someone would get an apartment on the bottom floor of an old building in a situation like theirs. I've never had problems with any of my neighbors before this, and it's not like my fiancé and I are very loud. So, you can see why your grass roots movement is something that rubs me the wrong way. I hate having people tell me how to live my life.

Will said...

Why don't you give your noisy neighbors you phone number so they can tell you when their having friends over (which their aloud to do.) That way, when your neighbors are having a party, you can be old fashioned, and take a bumper sticker slogan, "cottons king." Put a wad in each ear and you'll never know the party ever happened. This is how you protect yourself from whatever 'physical ailments' are caused by your neighbors music.

another thing, is it true that its outdoor music festivals that you're concerned about?

All i'm saying is that if your really, and truely wanted to live in silence, you would have bought more land. Where you could have never seen a soul for miles (or heard a speaker.)