Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Blistering editorial in Statesman draws rebuttal from Commissioner Ford


Note:
The RoundUp received this note earlier today. Karen Ford, in a tough battle to retain her seat as county commissioner in Precinct 4, received a blistering attack from a Sunday Statesman editorial endorsing her opponent, Republican Ray Whisenant. This is part of her response to the editorial. We're glad Ms. Ford is responding forcefully. We did a double take when we saw the Stateman's list of election endorsements of a number of Hays County candidates. It is clear that the Stateman's editorial board has plumb lost its senses and no longer deals in fair and factual assessments of the candidates. They've gone over the top on this one and look suspiciously agenda-driven. As for Mr. Whisenant, we're not so sure he'll proudly
be waving his endorsement from the Statesman out among his conservative crowd of supporters in the northwestern part of the county.

Send your comments and news tips to
roundup.editor@gmail.com, to Ms. Ford at karen@votekarenford.com or click on the "comments" button at the bottom of the story


From Karen Ford

Is the Austin American Statesman totally out of touch with citizens in northwest Hays County, or it is just "good ol' boy politics" at play again in Hays County, or maybe both?

The Statesman went to great lengths in their endorsement of my opponent today to point out how I had "angered" constituents over my vote on SH45 last May, and for my "no" vote on a new gun law.

Guess what, I did not hear from angry constituents at all on the SH45 issue. I did get some thank yous for my vote and my focus on the need to fix the "Y" in Oak Hill first. Please, go to my website and read my position on SH45. While there, you can read my position on "Daniel's law" as well.

Of all that I've worked on in the past four years, it's troubling for the Statesman to land on these two items as reasons not to endorse me – it's just misdirected and wrong.

But, the Good News Is-A Statesman endorsement does not a victory make.

9 comments:

Ralph said...

Boycott this meaningless rag, plain and simple. I already refuse to subscribe to or purchase the paper.

Les said...

so it's between Karen Ford and the Russ Molenar clone. Is this really happening? Another good ole boy wannabe versus a public servant. Who recruits these GOP mean spirited, pave-it-all clones? The statesman sells cars and houses, and is ONLY interested in more roads to enable wreckless and speculative land developments.

Anonymous said...

So, "Les", just what gives you the right to call Ray a "mean-spirited, pave-it-all clone"? You, like most liberals that I know are so two-faced that you are butt-ugly on the one side and no-faced on the other since you've lied your a** off for so long.

Anonymous said...

I echo the growing sentiment that the Statesman editorial board is either mentally disabled or crooked beyond belief. Their editorials are an example of both bad reporting and lousy prose. That, coupled with their slanted "journalism" on a number of ongoing stories, led me, a former degreed journalist, to also cancel my subscription. I've actually attending meetings and events that they sent some teenage reporter to and then read a story the next day that seemingly came from a different planet. I log on to their web site from time to time to see what new shade of yellow they're penning, but they get none of my dollars. I find that I get the real story and more in-depth reporting from news and current event blogs like this one.

I personally have no feelings for Karen Ford or her qualifications, but I can certainly understand her reaction to the Statesman's wreckless musings.

Louis said...

The Statesman acts like some kind of far away colonial ruler of the political structure in Hays County. Their true colors are showing. They should be sent packing.

Justin Thyme said...

Louis' assessment of the Statesman (and sadly, Austin in general) as a colonial ruler over the adjacent counties is all too true. They think of our lands as little more than a spare bedroom for their city and they keep inviting more and more guests to come visit...and stay.

That ridiculous editorial about Karen Ford sounded like it had been penned directly by Jeff Barton. Those were HIS issues, not hers and it was only HIM who was "infuriated" that Karen didn't go along with him.

Daniel's Law was a redundant piece of self-aggrandizing legislation and SH-45 will only hurt, not help Karen Ford's constituents.

I am afraid the Statesman looked no further than the Barton and Rose campaigns for their picks and it has been known for some time that those are Whisenant and Cutler, not their fellow Democrats.

Cancel you AAS subscriptions and let them know how come you did it.

Tired of being Austin's colony, then stand up on your hind legs and vote out Barton and his allies!

Anonymous said...

Ms. Ford may be correct. There are many other reasons NOT to vote for Karen Ford and the Statesman should have focused on those.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone still have a subscription to the AAS???? I would be amazed.

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall Comm. Ford and Rep. Rose not doing much to help FM 1826 residents get TxDOT to repave the road after messing up the initial job.

It took a dozen residents to contact the legislature to force TxDOT to do the job again. Ford and Rose did NOT speak-up to TxDOT.

Why would anyone vote for Ford and Rose. They do not stand up for the community when it's needed.