Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Stephen Colbert, Karl Rove and the mockery of campaign finance




Washington Post | By Dana Milbank, Published June 30

The comedian Stephen Colbert flew down to Washington this week to parody the nation’s campaign-finance laws. But there was a flaw in his plan: The campaign-finance system already is a parody.

Standing on a platform outside the Federal Election Commission, Colbert boasted about how he had won the FEC’s blessing to create a “SuperPAC” to raise unlimited funds. “I do have one federal election law joke if you’d like to hear it,” the new head of Colbert SuperPAC offered.

“Knock knock,” Colbert said.

“Who’s there?” responded the crowd of about 200.

“Unlimited union and corporate campaign contributions.”

“Unlimited union and corporate campaign contributions who?”

“That’s the thing,” Colbert said. “I don’t think I should have to tell you.”

1 comment:

Alan Greenback said...

I am considering contributing $10 Million to Colbert's Super PAC.

Although I clearly don't have the money, I am appealing to the Federal Reserve Board to print me the money and add it to the national debt. No one will notice, except maybe Sam Brannon.

Besides, if the Fed can print huge sums of money to bail out the big banks, they should be able to bail me out from my irresponsible financial committments and nutty financial risk.

If the printing of money fails, I will contact W. Bush or Cheney and ask them where they borrowed the money to attack Iraq and piss away the national surplus with tax cuts for the rich.