Pages

Friday, August 1, 2008

Analyzing Bennie, Bud And The PEC


By Linda Kaye Rogers

For over a year the PEC has received lots of negative coverage from area media. It's quite understandable since our electric co-op, the nation's largest, has been the target of a class action lawsuit and is the focus of investigations by a hill country DA, the Texas State Senate and a congressional committee.

Two key figures, former GM Bennie Fuelberg and former board president Bud Burnett, have “retired” under pressure. There have been numerous changes in policy and procedure, the hiring of a new general manager in Juan Garza and a historic first open election of new board directors. Openness and transparency have enabled members and the press to access information that will no doubt keep our beloved co-op in the news and in flux for some time to come.

All of this was long past due.


As I look back at the many changes and progress we’ve made, my “psychological brain" kicks in and starts evaluating and assessing. I find that my psychological brain and “member brain” are conflicted. And then my “practical brain" speaks up.

As a PEC member, my brain still registers outrage at the secrecy and self-serving behaviors of the old guard management and Board. I want to scream at the unfairness of the attempted settlement of the lawsuit. I want to smack the authorities who are letting Bennie and Bud evade a federal subpoena. And while I’m at it, I’d also like to smack some of the old guard who insist on remaining evasive and defensive of their behaviors. As each new bit of information seeps out, I find myself having to do more and more deep breathing to keep my blood pressure on the chart!


Alas, I am a non-violent person and my psychological brain tells me to look at the whole picture. So, to practice what I preach (and teach), I collect all the info I can, and like a puzzle that has a lot of varied sections and colors, I sort it and put it together. In this puzzle, there are still some pieces missing, but the theme and pattern are pretty well established. The puzzle represents the past, present, and future of PEC. The “past pieces” are mostly the ugly ones and some are still missing. But there are a few pleasant pieces to be found. The “present” pieces are coming in at a rapid rate and they are all fun and pretty. The “future” pieces are all there, but have no shape and so far, only the color “green."


Ugly pieces of the past

Non-transparency, excessive spending, both in business and personally, by the former general manager and Board members with no obvious oversight. No-bid contracts. Nepotism and a Good Ol' Boy system that was very much alive and well. Non ‘co-operative” functioning (election and capital credit issues). Poor transition into 21st century issues like renewable energy.

The pretty pieces
Good rates. Excellent service. Dedicated employees. High bond rating. Overall customer satisfaction. Excellent response to growth issues.


As I think about these positives and negatives, my practical brain asks, “How could the positives happen if so much “bad” was going on? Something must have been getting done that was supporting and benefiting the members while the GM and Board were having a grand time at member expense!”

So member brain says, “Maybe more could have been done with better fiduciary management.” Practical brain and psychological brain say, “This is all past and the reality is that we cannot change the past." My psychological brain says, “Learn from it and move on.” Member brain is not happy about this and hopes there can be some satisfaction in terms of accountability for actions. And most of all, the member in me wants to see the “retirement fund” yanked from a non-existent job for Bud Burnett.


My practical side reminds me that we member-customers have some responsibility in all this. Many of us trusted and let things happen. And then I hear that same admission from some of the old guard Board, “We trusted Bennie, blah blah.” Member's retort was, “it was your job (Board) to pay attention!”

But as a practical matter, what do we gain by pursuing actions that are already in the process of changing? Is it really wise to dump all the old guard who have a large base of knowledge and years of experience? Why not allow the “new guard” gain all they can in experience and knowledge as members make the decisions through elections to remove the old guard? After all, in one more year members have the chance of electing two more new directors, and in two years, the chance to make a final sweep of the old guard."


A pretty present
There are many “present” pieces of the puzzle, including some much visible change in attitude and behavior of the old guard. These are “pretty” changes. At the July meeting of the Board, a Director Compensation Package was voted on. A committee led by recently retired Advisory Board Member Libby Linebarger recommended reinstating essentially the same old monetary compensation package. But a newly elected Board Director, Patrick Cox of Wimberley, offered a greatly reduced compensation package that was UNANIMOUSLY accepted. There was no anger or bickering. Opinions were expressed and even some positive comments, but it passed with no opposition. In fact, this Board meeting exhibited a very pleasant interaction and cooperation between the old and the new. All my brains were clapping at this.

The Board agreed to what I believe were some questionable "insider" committee appointments, but there may be a move afoot to begin appointing ordinary outside members to committees. The fate of the ten, non-voting advisory and at-large Board directors (whether to keep them or do away with them) was tabled to the August meeting. The Board met for four long hours and had been in executive session earlier, so maybe we’re getting some bang for our buck! This is looking good. My practical and psychological brains both tell me to be patient and work through the process of change.

The future looks good
The “future” pieces have a strong theme consisting of renewable energy and conservation, continued changes in governance, policy and by-laws and a complete change in the old guard. All “brains” are pretty happy and excited about these prospects.

I think I forgot to mention that this puzzle has about a million pieces! When my “brains” work on it, I find it impossible to get a single, simplistic reaction. It’s just too involved if I look at the whole picture. But look at the whole picture I must. Viewing and responding only to pieces and portions sets me up as a target for propaganda and use by various special interest groups. I’m rather fond of my varied brains and usually enjoy the varied brains of others.

“I could never divide myself from any man upon the difference of an opinion, or be angry with his judgment with me in that, from which perhaps in a few days I should dissent myself.”
–– Browne

Linda Kaye Rogers grew up on a small family farm in the Rio Grande Valley. She received her BA and Masters of Science in Social Work from UT Arlington. She has taught smoking cessation, communication skills, stress management and parenting in hospitals, corporations, community groups and churches. Linda Kaye moved to Wimberley in 2000 where she built a straw-bale cottage and immediately established a rainwater collection system as her water supply. That same year she began volunteering at the Katherine Anne Porter School and has worked in various capacities at the school. She is an avid organic gardener, animal lover, conservationist, and environmentalist. In 2005 she spearheaded efforts to defeat a road bond that would have benefited a developer and cost Woodcreek North residents a dramatic and 20-year tax increase.

No comments: