Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

We Should All Be Government Watchdogs


By Charles O'Dell, Phd

I am often criticized by public officials for being a “self-appointed government watchdog.” It’s true. I was not elected to devote my time paying attention to our elected officials and reporting their actions, but I believe every citizen should be a self-appointed government watchdog to the extent possible. Most citizens, however, are consumed with providing for their families and lack the time and energy to ensure their elected officials are behaving in the public interest. My children are adults, I’m self employed and I choose to serve my community as a government watchdog.

HaysCAN operates on donations and an occasional grant, but my only compensation is the satisfaction of my community service and the rewards of working with many of the citizens in our community.

When Hays County media owned by or associated with elected officials refused to publish articles critical of those elected officials, the publisher of Hays County Roundup gave me and others a public voice in our community. Whether or not you agree with the messages, all citizens should welcome access to diverse views in our community. That’s truly American democracy in action.

I am also criticized by elected officials and their supporters of being a “conspiracy” nut. They may be half right, but I’ll leave that decision up to the readers of the Hays County Roundup.

Austin Public Access Television interviewed me last November as part of a series, Texas Water 101. You can watch and hear my comments at the following Internet link here.

This interview was unrehearsed and my comments were spontaneous. They reflect who I am, the origin of my values and views, and how I view my community. I hope that you will watch and listen and then let me know what you believe I got right, or where I need educating. Send me an email at codell@austin.rr.com. Get involved. Express your own values and keep reading the Hays County Roundup.

As co-founder of Hays Community Action Network (HaysCAN) in 2003, Mr. O’Dell strives to carry out the mission of ensuring open, accessible and accountable government. He is a long time and close observer of the workings of the Hays County Commissioners Court. He earned a degree in Agricultural Education and a Masters in Ag Economics at Texas Tech, and, later, a Ph.D. at The University of Maryland while employed as a Research Economist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in Washington, D.C. Texas born and raised on a family farm, O’Dell is a Hays County Master Naturalist and a board member of the Ethical Society of Austin.

Charles O'Dell hands a check for $3,800 on behalf of HaysCAN to Dana Carmean, co-manager of the Hays Trinity Groundwater Conservation District. O'Dell explained the contribution is intended to support the district's mission to preserve groundwater resources in western Hays County.

No comments: