Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

PEC watchdog Hawkins questions co-op's budget increases and zany survey


Note: PEC watchdog Milton Hawkins is on a tear. Below, he questions the need for certain increases in PEC's 2010 operating budget, and a member survey PEC wants to conduct that includes some zany questions. Things must be pretty slow up at PEC headquarters in Johnson City to want to start snooping into our political and lifestyle preferences. In a first-blush viewing of the survey info, we join Mr. Hawkins in seeing it as unnecessary and wasteful spending. There goes another blown $10,000 that could be more productively applied to home solar power conversions.

Friends,

Note the $563,223 increase (560%) in "Consumer Accounts," the $318,323 increase (39%) in "Consum Svc & Info," whatever that is, and the $712,211 increase (30%) in "Total Operating Expenses."

And there is $508,266 in this department's budget for "Economic Development." (Is unnecessary advertising "economic development"? Or is this a category for "giveaways"?)

What's going on here, and is whatever is going on related to the Decision Analyst survey? I wonder.

Isn't it wonderful to own something and not have a clue as to what's happening! (And I've been to lots and lots of board and committee meetings – it isn't as though I've been inattentive!)

Do you think our elected directors know what's going on? I guess we'll see.

Why are PEC's (our) directors and managers willing to pay 1,000 of us owner-members $10 each (of our own money) to respond to an on-line survey and answer questions like these:

– The federal government should encourage prayers in public schools
– A woman's life is fulfilled only if she can provide a happy home for her family
– I have more ability than most people
– I like outrageous people and things
– I consider myself an intellectual
– I must admit that I like to show off
– I like a lot of excitement in my life
– I want to be considered fashionable
– There is too much sex on television today

"Dear Valued Member," the postcard invitation reads, "Pedernales Electric asked Decision Analyst, an independent market research company, to conduct an online research survey to help them better understand your needs and what you want out of your cooperative.

"The first 1,000 members to complete the survey will receive a check for $10 as our way to say thank you."

If you learn more about this wonderful example of wasteful spending, please let the rest of us know about it.

I'm attaching copies (see below) of the card I received in the U.S. Mail.

Milton

1 comment:

Sensible Capitalist said...

Are the PEC fascist snoops? Who cares what people think about these idiotic questions. If PEC pays 10k for such nonsense, Landaker, Garza and the other fools should be forced to resign.

Where is the outrage here? And what do these questions have to do with utility usage?

Simply ridiculous.